Janie Cumber/Caroline’s Garden 11/04/2011

Michael's Shed

11/04/2011    Janie
Cumber/Caroline’s Garden

are two shoots combined. Janie came over on Saturday and wanted me to come
photograph her flowering tree. Can’t say I did much in the way of preparation.
I’ve been very sick for the past two weeks so getting my lard arse in gear is
about as much in the way of prep that I can manage. I went late in the
afternoon to get the better light. The tree isn’t very big and, although it is
artfully situated, it isn’t especially easy to shoot. I took 9 shots. Because I
was tired and the ground was wet, I contented myself with kneeling but no belly
shots. Not sure they would have made a difference. The result was one photo
rated 2.

garden was a different story. I was there on Sunday, no camera, and was taken
with the buds on one of her shrubs. When I asked if I might come back, she
asked for photos of the garden to use to make an invitation to a party. I
planned to return Monday morning, but the weather was terrible. Then about one
o’clock it cleared so I piled my kit up – macro lens for the buds, tripod for
the macro and my camera. I had a fair idea from the previous day about what
would make a good shot. Unfortunately, the wind had taken a lot of the
blossoms; however, I set up the tripod with the 18-270mm and shot, mostly at
f/5.6, 100ISO. I took care to turn the automatic features off after focusing.

changed lenses to the macro lens to shoot some buds. Other limbs were in the
way so I used my left hand to pull them away while I shot with my right.

Home and
to process. I uploaded the images to Lightroom, then created a keyword for
them. When I examined them, I rated them 0 to 3. Of the latter group- I had
three 3s. Those I worked a bit in develop module. Because I had been shooting
in the afternoon, I darkened the light levels, cropped, adjusted the tone curve
and used the filter to adjust light and colour.That will be it for now. I’ll
print the 3s and give them to Caroline for a decision. As for the macro shots,
one was just great, one was a 0 and one a 2 because the other blossoms weren’t
in focus. I will consider cropping. But I am delighted with the good macro of a

Here’s what I learned so far. This
classification system is a new one for me. I have used keywords and stars, but
not in this manner. This morning I read a chapter in the Adobe Lightroom 3 Book
suggesting using the 0 to 3 system. I think this will solve a problem I’ve been
having in separating the wheat from the chaff.


About idaswears

I left the U.S. for Cornwall 4 years ago. Since then I have spent my time writing, walking and studying the English. It's not always easy being a Yank in Cornwall, but it's always fun and rewarding.
This entry was posted in Uncategorized. Bookmark the permalink.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s